Today ushers in the second test of Donald Trump’s young presidency, and may offer a forecast for the 2018 midterms (at least in the minds of Democrats): a Special Election in Georgia’s 6th Congressional District to replace Tom Price who resigned to become HHS Secretary.
Last week, the GOP candidate held the congressional seat in Kansas vacated by now-CIA Director Mike Pompeo, a seat that’s been in GOP hands since 1995. Although a solid win, the victor earned a much smaller margin than the support the district gave to Trump just five months ago. In contrast, today’s special election is a bit different than last Tuesday’s: should none of the candidates surpass fifty percent, the top two contenders in the “jungle primary” will head to a run-off on June 20th. And all the media hype is focused on this guy, a thirty-year-old candidate the Democrats are hoping will upset the GOP, and take the seat Republicans have held since 1979, when Newt Gingrich wrested it from Democrat control:
So who is Jon Ossoff? Here are a few fun facts:
- Progressive Democrat (by the way, when I hear “progressive,” I think “communist,” but maybe that’s just me…)
- According to Ossoff, it makes no difference that he doesn’t live in the district; he lives a mile or so outside it with his girlfriend.
- Former national security staffer and aide to Rep. Hank Johnson
- Pro-choice, Pro-Planned Parenthood, Pro-EPA, Anti-Citizens United
- “Investigative” documentary filmmaker focused on fighting corruption
- Jewish; born in Atlanta, Georgia
- Graduate of Georgetown, and London School of Economics
- Received over $5,000 in compensation for video production from Qatari-owned Al Jazeera since January 2016, reports the Free Beacon. Even his Democrat opponents for the Georgia seat question his truthfulness on his income reports
- Personal wealth estimated between $1.7 and $4 million
- The political savant, Samuel L. Jackson, backs Ossoff; so, obviously, so must Georgia voters
And who Ossoff says he is, in his own words:
Hmm. About that “national security clearance” Mr. Ossoff touts: