The U.S. Army is set to decide whether Pvt. Bowe Bergdahl is entitled to as much as $300,000 in back pay and other benefits he amassed during his captivity with the Taliban. [Emphasis Added]
Let’s stop right there. Let’s recap the little jerk’s antics shall we?
- Bergdahl didn’t like being in the Army
- Bergdahl thought he’d smile, look purdy, fire his weapon once in a while and get all sorts of medals and rewards. He didn’t.
- Bergdahl decided he didn’t like the FOB he was stationed at. Didn’t like the military politics and the U.S. political landscape at the time and threw a tantrum.
- Bergdahl took off his uniform, folded everything very neatly on his bunk and walked off base leaving everything including his weapons behind. He did so ON PURPOSE.
- Bergdahl wanted to make political points by deserting and supposedly the Army chain of command would listen.
- Instead fellow soldiers spent the next few weeks and months looking for his scrawny ass and getting blown up and killed while doing so!
These men came home in a flag draped coffin because of Bergdahl’s asinine temper tantrum.
Berdgahl, meanwhile, got to be a guest of the Taliban for 5 years. Was he a prisoner? Yes. Was he a prisoner of war? IMO…NO.